Last year, some of you may remember that I made pizza out of some leftover veggies and cream cheese, because I had a crust available.  It was decent, but the broccoli and the asparagus were past their prime, there wasn’t enough sauce, and I wasn’t really satisfied with how it turned out.  I did feel like it was a good idea, however; so last night, as I was going through the a mental list of what I had on hand and pondering what to make for dinner, I decided to make a better version of that veggie pizza. 


1 can of spinach
1 can of artichoke hearts
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of pizza dough (who doesn’t love Poppin’ Fresh?)
1/4 lb. ground hamburger meat
garlic powder, onion powder, & white pepper to taste
2 oz. feta cheese
generous 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
olive oil spray

First, I poured the canned spinach into a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl and let it sit and drain (you want to get out as much liquid as possible).  I also drained the artichoke hearts and quartered them.  According to the package directions on my particular can of dough, you preheat the oven to 400°F, spread out the dough on a greased cookie sheet (that’s where the olive oil spray comes in), and pre-bake the crust for 8 minutes.  While that was in the oven, I heated a skillet to medium heat, added the hamburger meat, generously dusted it with garlic powder and white pepper, and cooked it until brown.  It was very lean meat, and not much of it, so I didn’t drain it.  I added the spinach and stirred it with the meat, adding another generous dusting of onion powder.  I then added the quartered artichoke hearts, and stirred it all until warm, then turned off the heat.  While I was working with the skillet, the timer for the crust went off so I pulled the crust out and set it on the stovetop while finishing up the toppings.  Once I’d turned off the stove (not the oven!), I opened the can of cream of mushroom soup and poured it onto the pre-baked crust, spreading it to the edges with a ladle.  I then spooned the meat and veggies across the pizza, and crumbled the feta on top.  I put the pizza back in the oven, checking it after about four minutes and adding the parmesan.  The can instructions called for baking the pizza for an additional 11 minutes, but I found that mine only required about 6.

The pizza devided nicely into 15 squares, three of which I had for dinner with a glass of sangria (which I may blog about later) and two of which I just had for breakfast.  Yum, veggies!